Last night I witnessed the most epic of fails at my local gym…lets call it ‘Ex Sport Gym’. I had a front row seat (well second row of stair climbers) to the most unsanitary buffet I have ever seen in my life. I guess it was member appreciation day, so the managers of the gym thought it would be a good idea to provide free food to us people trying to lose weight. I, of course, did not partake as you will soon find out why. Below are my observations about the cesspool of grossness I had the pleasure to view first hand.
- A buffet line consisting of a nacho bar, salad, bagels, and pizza were set up directly in front of a line of work out equipment actively being used. I am literally saying one foot away from open food are people dripping with sweat, breathing profusely, and churning up all kinds of air born particles which are now gently settling all over your food.
- None of the food was either kept warm or cold in any way. They provided plastic utensils, plates, and napkins but there were no proper serving utensils of any kind. Some of the gym employees would ‘tidy’ up the table by literally grabbing the end of the plastic utensils reserved for cutting your food and putting in your mouth, and grouping them together on the table. Furthermore, there are no hand washing stations anywhere near the food for the employees or gym goers.
- Some of the highlights of the bacteria buffet include: numerous people using their thumb and a small plastic fork to grab the salad (mmmmm thumb salad!). I watched a gentleman lift up his sweaty shirt, wipe himself down with a sweaty towel, and use the same bare hands to grab handfuls of tortilla chips for his nachos. I watched a lady use a small plastic spoon to add dressing to her salad, taste the dressing off of the spoon to make sure she liked it, put that SAME spoon back in the community dressing bowl for more, then leave the spoon for the next participant in the food poisoning buffet.
- I watched small children rip apart numerous pieces of pizza right after wiping their nose, only to grab a small corner piece and leave the rest for the ‘snot-a-roni’ fans out there. I watched a mother with a young child held up above her hip, reach over and grab bare handfuls of cheese, while the kid was directly hovering over pizza, with corn shrapnel from the tortilla chips the kid was eating falling upon the already snotafide delights.
- The employees of the gym would organize the food by man-handling the pieces and combining the platters of food.
- I witnessed countless acts of finger licking, followed by food grabbing throughout the show.
Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a proper buffet from time to time, but this had to be the greatest display of nasty, cross contaminating, sweat dripping, booger eating, double dipping, flinger licking, human fluid transfer I have ever seen!
Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this???