The not-so-bad downside of people knowing you are a chef…

Posted: August 23, 2013 in NERDSTEAK - Food Rant
Tags: , , , , , , ,
  • We usually don’t have a ‘favorite’ dish, so stop asking.  We can cook whatever we want, whenever we want, depending on our mood.  What we have a taste for today, might change tomorrow.
  • Please continue to cook for us!  We are not judgmental and will not critique your food if you are doing it for enjoyment.  We didn’t pay to eat at your house so we won’t complain if our steak is overcooked.
  • We are more than happy to help, but don’t expect us to ‘man-the-grill’ every time you invite us over.  If we wanted to cook today, you would be at our house.
  • Cooking with the best and finest ingredients is expensive! Don’t assume we are eating foie gras, truffles, and saffron for every meal.
  • Most chef’s realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and personal taste. Don’t be afraid to tell us what foods you like, or DON’T like.
  • Some chefs cook ALL day and ALL night at work…we don’t ALWAYS cook at home.
  • Our specialty is knowing how to cook.  Don’t assume that a BBQ chef from the south doesn’t know how to cook classical French cuisine.
  • This amazing thing called the internet has a wealth of knowledge about food, cooking, and technique.  Feel free to use it instead of asking us.
  • We can clean stains out of white cloths, and wash dishes & floors much better than you.
  • I would give you the recipe, but we don’t use them. (Excluding bakers!)

Do you have any to add???

ID-100103272

Comments
  1. boxgrl81 says:

I love your blog!

2. Great info…I’m just curious who your favorite chef is. I would like to think of myself as a foodie. Probably one of the best steaks I had was at Flay’s Mesa Grill in Vegas. I believe it was a ribeye and I gave it 9/10 stars lol…..I rate foods on a level of 1-10

3. So…what’s your favorite dish? ;>)

4. Very useful advices! thank you for writing about that 🙂 I do not know many chefs and definitely I wouldn’t even think about ‘being a chef’ from that point of view 😉 rather bothering, especially when it comes to the party which you are invited to… Thank you for visiting my blog! have a nice day, Iza

5. johnnaroose says:

Nice, my husband is a chef and we can identify with all of these. I would add a couple… We are secretly critical (positive and negative) of restaurants, but we always leave a generous tip for our servers. Also, we can accommodate substitutions, but we have a menu for a reason- every time you place an order with 6 substitution, we die a little on the inside.

6. Agree! at the end of the day there is a lot of cool stuff about being a chef and it makes me smile that, no matter where we are from and where we work, we can always more or less identify with other chefs around the world, like being all part of a big comunity. 🙂 thank’s for visiting my blog and happy cooking, Serena

7. You are very funny. 🙂

8. gemini232006 says:

Living Halfway around the world has it’s downsides. Haha, my friends will message me asking me how to roast chicken, they are in the US, and I in Germany. My message will come a day late after they have burned the chicken and the stuffing turns out raw. Thanks for this, some of these are very very true. My mom expects me to say something out of turn at every meal if we are at a restaurant.

9. Hey chef love your post. I think you covered most of it. Lucky we have the best job in the world!

10. ryan8food says:

Not all of us have big groups to cool for at home. We may not buy a lot o ingredients or have the biggest tools in our home kitchen (for me a small 1 bedroom apartment kitchen).

11. alivitari says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

12. Natasha Show says:

Share the secrets of keeping your white clothes white and stain free! 😉

13. thefoodstew says:

I once saw someone ask Mario Batali, on twitter, if he thought that home cooks could be as good as professionals; what’s your take? He said Yes…but what else is he going to say considering most of his followers are probably non pro’s.

• chefman316 says:

Well in my opinion anyone can be an amazing cook, the difference is a pro-chef has a lot of other things they need to be good at like purchasing, leading a team, menu development, equipment management, customer relations…Just like anyone can be great at guitar, but the pros know how to work the crowd.

14. Okay I’m a kat and I don’t cook at all…but I love your blog,…You people have CATTITUDE!!

Shrimp

15. parrotpunch says:

Love this post. I’ll be back to read more.

16. SandyLand says:

One of my dreams in life is to open a restaurant. Once we get blog-married maybe we can open one together.

17. Ron Sambrano says:

Love that post. Sometimes Ill cook for a well traveled person. Since I love Chinese n Filipino foods thats the style I favor…and ohhhh…they all ate the fucking best shit in HongKong n Manilla..its like too bad you owe me for my services. Haha.

18. chefbirdsong says:

If you don’t like the flavor of an herb, even if a professional uses it in a dish prepared for you, you probably STILL won’t like the flavor of that herb (unless it is heavily masked by another flavor). The flavor of an herb doesn’t have much to do with the chef folks! 😉

19. Beth says:

All foods are not created equal. Therefore, we are allowed to hate certain members of the food kingdom, too. For that reason, don’t put an onion on my plate unless you want me to push it out of the way on my way to everything else. (Yes, I eat like a five-year-old when onions are involved.)

20. I agree with the 2nd point completely. Because I bake, friends constantly think I’m judging every baked good that comes out of their oven. Not true at all! 🙂

21. Fx says:

I’m know I’m extremely late entering this conversation, but I just had to comment – I’m not a professional chef but as ‘the one who cooks’ within my circle, most of the points you make here resonate strongly (and made me chuckle).

The very worst thing I experience? I design and bake cakes but haven’t had a birthday cake of my own for years – no-one wants to bake or buy me one because they think it won’t be ‘up to my standards’. Despite many, many reassurances that the worry is unnecessary and that I would be absolutely delighted with a cake made by hands other than my own, my birthday continues to be a cake free zone. Sadness. 😉
    x

P.S. Thank you for the like on my blog!