The people at Oloves™ (http://www.oloves.com) were nice enough to send me some samples to conduct a consumer review. I received the samples last week and here is what I thought:
- Packaging Apparence – These olives come in a cool silver pouch with a tear away top. It was very easy to open and all of the samples held up very well in the shipping box without the need for much extra packaging. This was obviously produced outside the US with the UK ingredient and nutritional statement on the packaging, but still easy to follow. They have a very nice product shot on the front with a, ’50 calorie snack’ tag on the front. It has a very simple yet upscale feel, along with enough support to be a great traveling snack.
- Product Appearance – The olives themselves held up pretty well being in a soft pouch with little excess oil or brine, but you will notice that they don’t have the integrity of olives in a glass jar, which is to be expected. I will note that the Mediterranean flavor variety was a much darker green than the Hot Chilli Mama and the Lemony Lover varieties. Nothing on the package noted a different olive variety. I liked that the olives were not swimming in oil or brine making it a better quick snack option. The Mediterranean and the Lemon varieties had the appropriate amount of garnish for what I expected, however the chile version looked like it was lacking in chile flakes.
- Eating Experience – Starting with the Mediterranean, I felt it had a great flavor with notes of garlic and basil, however the texture of the olives were overly soft. They had just the right amount of tangy brine flavor and did not over saturate my mouth with oil like other olive brands. Still, the olives being extra soft made this my least favorite of the three varieties and If they were the same texture as the other two, it could have easily been my favorite. Next was the lemon variety which had a much better olive texture. There were some interesting lemon pieces in the package which tasty more like candied lemon than fresh squeezed lemon juice, but was still a nice little treat you would not normally find. For me, I could have used just a touch more garlic flavor as well as a more natural lemon flavor in the olives. Last was the chile variety. My first tasty was perfect, great olive texture, just the right amount of heat and a touch of lemon, however my next piece was over the top hot. I noticed that the chile flakes were not evenly distributed over the olives, which makes me believe they added the chile flakes after the olives were brined. This allows for ‘hot-spots,’ not an even amount of heat throughout the product. Also, on their ingredient statement, it showed lemon pieces are supposed to be mixed in with this variety as well, but I did not find any in my particular package. All around experience was very favorable, but felt there could be some small tweaks to make it even better. I will note that I did not find any pits or stems which you can sometimes find in other brands of olives.
- Value – From what I researched, the cost of these seem to be in line with other pre-portioned olives out there. You will get a better value buying olives in bulk, however with these, you get the convenience of an easy open and transportable snack. They also promote being all-natural, gluten/dairy/nut free, vegan and kosher.
- Overall – I had a very favorable experience with Oloves™ olives. I enjoyed the easy-open and fancy looking packaging, the lack of oil/brine to pick though, along with some good flavors. I felt that if the Mediterranean variety used the same olives as the other two, if the lemon variety moved away from the candy lemon flavor, and the chilli variety had a more even heat, this would have been quite the product! I give Oloves™ olives a 3.5 out of 5.
NERDSTEAK is more than happy to review any food, beverage, restaurant, CPG or equipment items you have to offer. Feel free to contact Mike directly at email@example.com to arrange for shipping of samples, or to schedule a review.